Energy Innovations Grants
The Energy Innovations Grant program is an ongoing program that has already contributed over $2 million in research funds to our local Universities. Funding from the program has helped post-secondary institutions look for new ways to advance science and technology in energy-related fields. Over the last five years, the utility industry has seen rapid changes as new technology has entered into the utility field. Riverside Public Utilities is looking to continue its partnerships with higher education institutions to explore ways to utilize technologies available today in order to make energy cleaner, more efficient and reliable.
Proposals must meet all of the following criteria to be eligible for consideration:
Propose an original innovative solution to a significant energy issue, address a California market need, provide a clear potential benefit to California electricity ratepayers, and target one or more of the categories listed below as it relates to the utility:
• Building efficiency
• Energy quality
• Distribution system impacts
• Distributed generation impacts
• Environmentally-preferred advanced generation
• Renewable generation utility impacts
• Energy-related research
• Strategic energy research
• Advanced electric transportation research
• Smart Grid applications
• Energy efficiency demonstration projects
Items that typically do not meet program intent:
• Materials components development or research
• Nanotechnology components and materials research
• Fuel cell components and materials
• Battery components and materials
• Generation improvement development
• Products/services readily available in the commercial market
How do I apply?
Give your Account Manager a call today at (951) 826-5485 for full details, or send us an e-mail.
Energy Innovations Grant Guidelines
• This program is available to public or private post-secondary educational institutions within RPU’s service territory only.
• All programs are subject to fund availability and may be cancelled, modified or reduced at any time.
• Riverside Public Utilities (RPU) awards up to two Energy Innovation Grants each *fiscal year to a public or private post-secondary education institution. *(Ex. The proposal submission deadline for Fiscal Year 2019-20 is February 1, 2019) Proposal submissions are evaluated through a grading process by a Grant Review Team of engineers and RPU staff.
• The level of incentive is up to 100% of the project cost not to exceed $100,000 with no matching funds or repayment requirements associated with this program.
• Feasibility study funds are available up to $5,000 per project per calendar year to determine the effectiveness of the proposed project.
• Grant recipients will be required to enter into an agreement with Riverside Public Utilities to establish that the project demonstrates the proposed savings.
• Applicant’s project must be initiated within 30 days of the effective date of the agreement and must be completed within one year.
• All projects or uses of grant funds must comply with the relevant portions of the California Public Utilities Code Section 385 http://codes.findlaw.com/ca/public-utilities-code/puc-sect-385.html related to the use of public benefits funds.
• For good cause and upon proper notification, the General Manager of Riverside Public Utilities may approve the extension of project deadlines.
• Copyrightable material and all patent rights for inventions conceived or put into use in the course of the grant project will be the property of the recipient subject to Riverside Public Utilities retaining certain limited use rights.
• Grant participants will be required to cooperate with Riverside Public Utilities in publicity activities regarding awarding of the grant.
• Completion and submission of an application does not obligate Riverside Public Utilities to allocate grant funds.
• Customer is responsible for complying with all required federal, state and local ordinances, restrictions, rules and regulations prior to installing any new equipment.
• Limitations apply.